Monday 22 February 2010

The question of skies

Does anyone want or need photos of skies?

Let's face it, all you need to do is go to a window, look up and there it is! You can't really miss it.

The problem with that, as I imediately know by looking out the window, is that the plain grey sky stretching from east to west and north to south isn't actually the sort of sky I would like to paint. Another problem is that even on those days when it isn't two tone grey, the sky is often one of boring cloud with little to interest anyone.

So, photos of skies would be a welcome addition, wouldn't they? The trouble is that I really don't know. It's easy enough to paint a sky from memory? A simple wash, white clouds rendered by soaking out of the colour using a sponge or a tissue. Simple.

But let's say, for example, that you want to paint a snowscape and a wash of blue with a few towering columns of cummulo-nimbus doesn't really give the right atmosphere. What can you do now?

I seem to remember, while walking the dog one snowy morning, that the sky was especially interesting and seemed to fit in perfectly with the snow on the ground. To be honest, if I'd seen a photo of that particular sky I would have known immediately that it was a cold winter's day. But now, of course, I can't remember how it looked at all. How I wish I'd taken that photo!

If anyone else feels this way then please let me know. My current way of thinking is that there isn't really enough interest in photos of skies to justify publishing them. If I'm wrong, tell me and I'll do something about it.

1 comment:

  1. Yes some skies would be helpfull ;)

    Some morning light
    Some evening light
    Some Storm
    Some rain
    ...
    take your pick or pics ;)

    ReplyDelete